

I was in Houston, TX a couple of weeks ago and I got to go see the Astros play the Reds. I was more excited to see the Reds play, since the Astros have been nicknamed "The Lastros" and "The Disastros" this summer, so I figured they wouldn't be much to see. Turns out, I was wrong. It was actually quite entertaining to see them put on their comedy routine, er, play baseball. Wild pitches that hit batters, guys jumping over the ball, guys chasing after the ball and running into each other...it was a good show. They lost, of course, but I got to experience a game under the roof of Minute Maid Park (I'd been before, but it had been a while). Since it was about a thousand degrees in Houston, the roof over the park seemed really appealing going in, but when they opened the roof after the game for the fireworks show, I realized we'd have been better off letting a little night air in the whole time. It was a little stuffy with the roof, and honestly, the park loses some of its charm when it's closed up. It doesn't quite feel like a baseball park.
Overall, it was a good time. I stuffed my face with barbecue and hot dogs, which makes up for the lack of really good baseball.
A couple of days later, I watched the last game of that series from a bar in Chattanooga, where I watched the Astros vs. Reds game and also the Braves vs. Marlins game. Isn't it a sign of the apocolypse when the Braves lose and the Astros win, especially in this season? Well, that's what happened that Sunday, and not only was I irrationally grumpy about Atlanta's loss, I was sure I would meet my Maker soon, as this had to be a sign of the end of time.
Tomorrow I'll travel to Atlanta to see the Braves play the Mets. Finally. This is a match-up I've wanted to see for years. I have no reason to hate the Mets other than the fact that my beloved Tom Glavine left the Braves to play for them, and it was painful to see him a Mets uniform. He was a Brave. He should have always been a Brave. I imagine this particular feeling is what a lot of LSU fans feel toward Alabama and Nick Saban (although, I'd like to point out to those tragically misguided LSU fans who seem to have forgotten Saban left LSU to coach for the Dolphins, not for Alabama). Anyway, my hatred of the Mets is second only to my hatred of the Yankees (duh, right?), so I'm thoroughly looking forward to watching my Braves kick some Mets butt tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment