My mom and I went to see Eric Clapton in concert in February, and it blew my mind. I consider myself to be misplaced, convinced I should have been alive in the 60s, so being in the same room with an icon from my favorite decade was a dream come true for me. The only thing that would make my little hippie heart happier would be seeing Paul McCartney himself live in concert.
I sat down the day after the concert to write about my experience, and I ended up with something that wasn't at all what I'd set out to write. But these were my true and honest thoughts after the show.
I was sitting in the 60s this weekend. I was listening to Eric Clapton play and watching his legendary hands slide up and down the guitar making sounds I didn’t know a guitar could make. The year is actually 2010 and Eric Clapton is not a young man and the audience is not a wild bunch of hippies passing around a joint and moving to the beats. The mostly older audience is almost all seated, bobbing their gray heads and definitely not stoned. But I blocked all that out and I imagined it was, in fact, the heart of the 60s and I tried to feel the music the way people might have back then.
As I was deep in thought, a tiny gnat started buzzing around my face. I swatted at it absently at first, but it kept coming back. It bumped into my face and landed on my head and tried to get in my eye. The funny thing is I wasn’t annoyed that the gnat was bothering me and taking my attention away from the stage, but rather I was annoyed that the dumb gnat clearly did not understand who it was playing guitar up there. What a lucky gnat, I thought, to come into existence in this place on this day. Some gnats live dull little short lives when they are born and live in a typical household kitchen or around a neighborhood dumpster. But this gnat gets to live out its life at an Eric Clapton concert. I was annoyed that the gnat was wasting its time buzzing around my head, as I am no one special, instead of flying on up to the stage to buzz around the head of the greatest guitarist who has ever lived. He could just float up there and no one would stop him and ask him for his ticket and security would not grab him and throw him out of the concert. Gnats can pretty much go wherever they want. I feel sure if this gnat had known I’m just an unemployed college graduate but in the very same room was a rock and roll legend, he would have reconsidered his choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment